Thursday, October 2, 2014

September 26th, 2014

Mark Twain: "Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside."

Today after work, we swung by the Bikes, Blues, & BBQ motorcycle rally in Fayetteville.  We've lived here four years now and haven't gone, so we thought we'd pop over and check things out.  Of course we saw some sweet bikes but really expected to see more tricked out bikes than we did.






At any rate, the amount of people there was pretty amazing and we were told that this is the third largest bike rally in the U.S.  Again, surprising just considering how massive Sturgis is compared to this.  We aren't bikers by any means but it was cool to see all the bikes and have a beer while we people/bike watched.





Okay, enough of that.  I had a pretty long week and I was pretty tired when we got home, but we still snuck in an episode of the Netflix show "Orange is the New Black".  We haven't finished watching the rest of the episodes of Flashpoint yet, but last week I got a little caught up in the drama of Orange is the New Black.  Anyway, It's Friday Night in Winslow and time for our eighth Mystery Bag Challenge!  It's Damon's turn to pick the four mandatory ingredients and my turn to cook.  Though, I don't feel like doing anything but laying around and watching TV, I figure the show must go on!  

Recap: The rules are simple; whoever is cooking has to make dinner using each of the 4 mystery food items that the other has put into the mystery bag.  We can also use other items that we have in the fridge and pantry, but MUST use some of each item from the mystery bag, and MUST be ready to plate-up dinner before 1 hour has passed after seeing the ingredients for the first time.

And here's what I ended up with for tonight!
 



Tyson grilled chicken strips, english muffins, cherry tomatoes, and provolone cheese.....  Hmmmm..... What would you make if you had to use all of those ingredients?  

I'm a little slugish and take awhile to figure out exactly what I want to do.  Damon feels sorry for me because he thought this might be an easy one for me.

I eventually get it together and start getting my pans out. The chicken is pre-cooked and while I'm not 100% sure what I want to do, I know I can thaw the chicken in a pan and get it warmed up while I formulate my master plan.  I take a look at our leftovers and see that we still have some of Damon's cheese sauce from a past challenge and some of the adobo flavored rice I made in a prior challenge.  I grab those out along with some small sweet peppers and green onion.

I use the rice and cheese to make a filling to make some stuffed peppers I will use for the side dish.



Next, I decide to dice up the chicken, quarter the tomatoes, chop up the cheese and throw it all into the skillet to get the cheese melted. I'm going with some type of open faced sandwich with stuffed peppers on the side.


I've got everything going and am doing okay on time when I decide that I'm going to top my little sandwiches with over-easy eggs.  I get the stuffed peppers into the broiler and finish up my eggs.
  

With only a few minutes left, I'm starting to feel the pressure that Damon must have felt last week, "How the hell long does it take to make a sandwich"?  At any rate, I start plating! 


With only minutes to spare, I plate up and serve Damon his dinner.



It turned out really good and to not be feeling 100% up to the challenge, I'm pretty impressed with myself!  We finish our dinner and talk scoring.


A reminder of our scoring system...  

being done on time = 0-1 point
dish presentation = 0-2 points
dish creativity / originality = 0-3 points
dish flavor = 0-3 points
portion size = 0-1 point. 

We did our scoring and in the end, I ended up with an average of a perfect score, 10 points!

Damon = 32, Christina = 33.5, and that puts me back in the lead!!
 
Next week is my Damon's to cook!

No comments:

Post a Comment