Monday, January 14, 2013

Friday, January 11th, 2013

So ladies and gentlemen, it's another Friday Night in Winslow.....

And what did we do on Friday night?

Attempting to fulfill my duties as Treasurer at Winslow Community Meals ( I sit on the Board of Directors there), I brought home a slew of miscellaneous paperwork, tax papers, payroll, Arkansas Workforce crap, etc.  I spent a good couple of hours, after working an 8 hour day at my job, trying to figure out how non-profit taxes work.  I found myself having more questions than answers (this is the first year I've ever attempted to do the taxes at Meals).  Don't get me wrong, I'm an intelligent person, I do my own personal taxes every year, but I've never done non-profit taxes before, so I am learning as I go! And if that isn't tricky enough, consider the politics involved in not only working for a non-profit agency, but also volunteering at another one....Whew!

Finally, I decided that I needed to tend to some household things... hmmm, what to rope Damon into???

It's 8PM and we haven't started dinner yet.  I haven't finished the load of laundry I started before I went to work today.  I haven't even gone out to say hello to my furry faced children (our three dogs, Lady, Strider, and Molly Brown). 

In spite all of those things needing to be done, I decide that we are going to sort 2 big bags of dry red beans and store them in an extra large Mason jar!  

Dry beans come mixed with some pebbles most of the time, don't cha know!  Honestly, I never even knew that bags of beans from the store might have rocks in them.  Growing up, we always had beans out of a can, so raw, uncooked, beans were a different animal for me, but Damon insisted that we "sort" the beans before we stored them, because of the rocks in the bag!  So, a glass of The Recipe in hand, we decided to have a little contest!

That's right folks, we had two 2 pound bags of red beans and we decided we should have a little race..... We thought, being a quite Friday Night in Winslow, what else is there to do but have ourselves a little Bean Sorting Party! 

That's right, we decided to see which one of us could pull all of the rocks, along with all of the nasty looking broken or shrivelled up beans, out of a 2Lb. bag of beans first!




It was a tie!  I know, it's disappointing, I usually kick ass, but Damon is a fierce competitor (he's still mad that I kicked his ass at both Monopoly and Risk the last two times we played!!!) and now he's bringing a new game to our little competitions that we find ourselves sponsoring in little Ol' Winslow on Friday nights!!

Until next time,

Love,

Christina

Just for fun:
Weekly shopping trip: Bought $55.78 worth of stuff, but after coupons and sales: Spent $28.48 out of pocket!  That's pretty bad ass!

   

No comments:

Post a Comment