Sunday, June 2, 2013

Friday, May 31st, 2013

Quote by Winston Churchill "Now this is not the end.  It is not even the beginning of the end.  But, it is perhaps, the end of the beginning."

It was Friday night, it's Winslow, my mom is on holiday (staying with us for two weeks), and what else you ask?  The flippin' power goes out!

That's right, the power was out!

Damon and I of course immediately went into survival mode.  Living out in Winslow, if the power is out for more than an hour, it usually means it's going to be a couple of days before we get it back. 

Damon and I immediately began discussing using our little Coleman camp stove to make dinner for the night, on the front porch, because it was raining kittens and pups, or Damon offered the option of him cooking up a couple pounds of cheeseburgers and hot dogs in his rain coat, so we could eat for the next couple of days.  Alternatively, Damon had the thought that we could just eat cold leftovers from the fridge until the power came back on.  Mom and I weren't too excited about that prospect, after a quick review of what leftovers we had on hand.  Cold Sweet and Sour Chicken over rice and cold Amish Stew. 

Damon of course, was more in survival mode than us and was perfectly content to wing it for the night, until he could get the generator up and running to keep our deep freeze and fridge running.  In the end, we each ended up cobbling something together on our own and at different times.  Mom was smart, she ate a sandwich before it got dark.  Only thing I did before dark was have a drink or two and gather up the candles and flashlights.  We did get in a couple rounds of the board game "SORRY" before it got dark, and I am very sad to say that Damon won both games!  I was sure if I didn't kick his ass, mom would, but no such luck!

After a drink or two, I started feeling a little hungry and it was dark but we had lots of candles going.  I decided I just wanted to nibble on things throughout the night, so I got myself a dinner roll and stuck it on the end of the plastic knife and held it over a candle.  That's right ladies and gentlemen, I heated a dinner roll and even melted some butter over a candle in my living room.  I actually had two... and they tasted great!



Damon ended up waiting much later and braved the cold meatloaf.  This is no big surprise, he doesn't have a problem with cold food.  I on the other hand want to eat my food piping hot and often don't partake in leftovers unless of course I can nuke them!

Until next time......

Just for fun:
Weekly shopping trip: Bought $56.54 worth of stuff, but after coupons and sales: Spent $24.04 out of pocket!

No comments:

Post a Comment