Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Christmas, 2013

Mario Puzo wrote, "The strength of a family, like the strength of an army, is in it's loyalty to each other".


Christmas is my most favorite holiday.  I'm sure I've said that a million times but it truly is my favorite and not just the day, but the time of year.

I had a great time with my family in Tulsa, last night, we went out to visit Damon's parents and exchanged gifts and ate a great dinner. This morning, we exchanged gifts at my Mom's house in the morning and ate more great food around lunch time.  Then of course, we were all in a food coma and all we wanted to do was go to sleep!  In fact, Damon did take a nap, I tried, and in spite of how tired I was, couldn't fall asleep (I think this may have something to do with staying up late with one of my brothers (James) and my sister (Red) and there may have been some wine involved......

At any rate, we had a really great Christmas, my niece and nephew were visiting their mom out of state for Christmas so I didn't get to see them this trip but everyone else made it.  Great food and being with family, what more could you ask for?

I do hate to say that when I go to explain what I love about Christmas I will usually say something like, "decorating the tree, shopping for family and friends, eating too much and especially the sweets, getting and giving Christmas cards, etc", and I could go on, but some of the thoughts might not sound so commercial and be more meaningful, like "spending time with family and friends, helping others, and adopting a child from the angel tree".  

Sadly, because of everyone being so politically correct these days, I never say "because I'm celebrating the birth of Christ".  Feel free to stop reading my blog now if you don't care for what I'm saying, but I am a Christian.  I said, I'm a Christian, not a lunatic!  I don't try to cram my religion down anyone's throat, I don't try to recruit people to turn Christian (though, I have on occasion argued my beliefs against those of my friends who disagree with Christianity, but that wasn't to change their mind so much as it was that we like to argue our points with each other) and honestly, I don't care what you believe or don't, just don't get pissed off at me if I talk about Christmas being Christ's birthday and don't shoot me because I said I'm a Christian.

I know, here I am rambling again but I tend to do that and you should know that by now, unless this is your first Friday Night in Winslow!

Anyway, this is Christ's birthday and I'll be the first to admit that I haven't done much to celebrate that.  Tonight, i'm left hoping for a change in my traditions for next year.  I hope to make Christmas a little less about money and how many gifts I receive and focus on the gifts I can give, and I don't mean necessarily going out and spending money, I mean giving of myself and my time.  I hope to do away with all the stress and drama and worrying about monetary things, and focus a little more on spending time helping others and on Christmas day, just being together as a family.   

No matter your tradition, make sure it's meaningful.  The material gifts you receive, no matter what they cost, can't replace or make up for, time spent with your family.



Merry Christmas to all and to all a goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment