Saturday, August 17, 2013

Friday, August 16th, 2013

Quote by Mahatma Ghandi "All through history, there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall, always."

 
 



 
No, these pics are not from the set of 'The Walking Dead', this is a local grocery store (just up the road in West Fork), Super Foods and they've gone out of business.  Super Foods was and has been for quite some time, the closest grocery store to us Winslownians. 
 
Another much larger local grocery store chain, Harp's moved in just up the road from them several months ago and I figured it was only a matter of time before the end of Super Foods would be upon us.  Don't get me wrong, I like that Harp's is employee owned and I love that they aren't the big dog that Wal-Mart is, nonetheless, it's sad that Super Foods has closed it doors.
 
It got me to thinking, anyone who's shopped at a Harp's knows that they aren't exactly the cheapest store to shop at and Super Foods couldn't exactly afford to be as cheap as Wal-Mart.  Sure, they have deals sometimes that make the stop worth it and so does Harp's.  So, why choose to put a local grocery out of business?  Of course, Harp's has an inventory that Super Foods wasn't likely to match but they were local and probably just as costly as Harp's. 
 
I guess I just wish they could have found a way to keep the doors open, change their business plan, find a different and cheaper company to purchase their inventory from, something!!
 
Anyway, this is my Friday night.  I went shopping at Super Foods, as they were selling their merchandise all at 50% off, and I couldn't help but take the above pictures.  I've never seen a grocery store that looked like this. It really did feel like it was the zombie apocalypse and I was scrounging around for what little food and supplies I could find.
 
Still, it's sad to see them go.  I don't know the owners or the staff , but I just wanted to give them a shout out.  It was nice having Super Foods just up the road in West Fork and in spite of Harp's taking their customers, they will not take the place of the small town, locally owned, Super Foods!
 
 
Just for fun:
My final Super Foods shopping trip, I bought $75.94
of food and household items, but after their discount: Spent only $37.97 out of pocket.  Thank you Super Foods!  

No comments:

Post a Comment