Saturday, December 29, 2012

Friday, December 29th, 2012

So it's another Friday Night in Winslow and what do we find ourselves doing?

De-hoarding!

We both came from small apartments in Tulsa, but somehow we have found ourselves, over the years, collecting things that we "might" use one day.  Considering that I'm on vacation, I promised myself that I was going to devote some of my vacation time getting rid of some of the stuff that we aren't going to use or don't need. 

To paint a clearer picture for you, we live in a 2,000 square foot house,  just the two of us...  Damon came from an apartment that was about 400 square feet in size,and I came from an 800 square foot apartment.  How in the good lord's name did we end up with all the stuff we have?  I have no clue!

Our house is kinda big for two people, but somehow we have no space at all, anywhere!  What is supposed to be our master bedroom is lined with bin's full of stuff we hope to use one day, along with the master bathroom, and the master closet.  But, to be fair, we are in the middle of a complete renovation, so we're not even living in the whole house just yet, but come on!  We have come to the realization that there is no way in hell we are going to be able to display every trinket, or use everything we have.

That being said, after I watched a Christmas movie in bed (I still have quite a few Hallmark movies saved on DVR and a few days left of my vacation! lol!), I spent the entire rest of the day opening bin after bin, trying to reduce the amount of stuff we have.  Somehow, we've become hoarders!  Don't get me wrong, we're not like the people you see on the TLC shows.  We can still walk in and out of every one of our rooms, but we still have way too much stuff!!  Late into the evening, I found myself with an entire 55 gallon trash bag of trash, 2 bags of donation items that I'll be taking down to the Salvation Army, and a bag of things that we don't have a use or space for, but we're hoping that our families do.  By the way, don't give trash to charities, that drives me crazy!  Just because you need help, doesn't mean you need trash!  People who can't afford to shop at the stores you do still want nice things, but if it's broken, or doesn't work, throw it away! Don't donate it, because it wont help anyone!  Nonetheless, my goal was to de-hoard and, while I feel like I'm nowhere near done, we have made some progress!

After all our hard work of de-hoarding, we ended our night by making up some burritos and rice and I made Damon watch yet another Christmas movie. 

It's a Friday Night in Winslow, what else can I say??

      

1 comment:

  1. yes the house is to big for two people, you could add someone lets say a mother lol.....

    ReplyDelete